Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Thoughtful gifts...

There have been times I have been surprised by the thought some people put behind the gifts they give.

An example: A few years ago, I was very sad cause my dear friend and her family moved away. I made mention to another friend (LB) about how I stop at Starbucks every morning for a grande, non-fat, no foam latte and how somehow, that makes me feel a little better. A little less sad. Starbucks is "comfort food" for me. Well, a few days later, I received a Starbucks gift card that covered my lattes for well over a month (that's a lot of money). I was surprised -- yes, by LB's generosity, but more so, I was amazed by her thoughtfulness... because what she gave to me was comfort.

Another example: A few weeks ago, I received a gift (not for me, but for my friend Bobby). It was a Saint Benedict crucifix meant to bring comfort to those who are dying. It brought me a great deal of comfort too.

So, this morning I walk into the office to find a very large box on my desk. It was Fed-Exed and marked with a sticker that read, “Special Delivery Instructions: This package contains ALCOHOL. Adult signature required. Check ID. Do not deliver to an intoxicated person.” Much to my delight, inside the box were two six packs of beer! It was sent to me by a business partner. Thanking me for seeing the value in our partnership. It’s not odd to receive gifts from business partners. Not even alcoholic gifts. What was oddly cool was that she remembered (I guess) that I love beer. It was thoughtful. It couldn’t have come at a better time. It will bring me comfort.

1 Comments:

Blogger rita said...

hey sista,
I agree, receiving a thoughtful gift is somehow more precious than the gift itself...
drink one for me...
love ya,

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home