Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Make new friends, but keep the old...

Do you remember your very first best friend?

I am luckily enough to have reconnected with mine during the past 5 or so months. We had not seen nor spoken with one another in well over 20 years (and so as not to age myself, I’ll keep it at that). Anyhow, this past weekend she came out to see me in Dallas (she lives in Durango). We spent a day at the spa… and another at the mall… it was a GREAT weekend. In between all of our activities, we reminisced about our friendship as kids. It is fascinating (and at times painful) to revisit some of those memories. I am amazed at how much effect our little friendship had on me – and ultimately – continues to have on me. My best friend was beside me through a lot of big things in my little life. Like when my grandpa died – and when my parents marriage began to fall apart -- big things. Also, hers was the first lasagna I had ever eaten. (It’s funny cause she remembers how much I loved it too.)

It’s interesting to wonder how much of what I was like as a kid has become what I’m like as an adult. None of my current friends knew me as a kid -- not the chess playing, horseback riding, (rabbit hunting!), talk-on-the-phone-all-day kid. I’d like to think that I am as good of a friend now as I was then (although I highly doubt you’ll catch me rabbit hunting).

I have had the opportunity to reconnect with several ‘old friends’ over the past year -- most from college – maybe a couple from High School. Everyone always says, “Isn’t it great that we can pick up right where we left off?” It is great! It’s also great to know that my very first best friend has become one of my newest best friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger rita said...

very cool.
rabbit hunting, eh?
you're right, I never would have guessed.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home