Friday, December 09, 2005

When I am old...

Last year I was at the grocery doing some shopping, I think I was at Central Market (but perhaps it was the Kroger in South Irving) regardless – the store was playing Christmas music at a volume where it could easily be heard. I think the song playing was “Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow” (or something of the like) but I know it was Dean Martin singing.

Anyhow, I was enjoying the music as I was checking the dates on the milk cartons and turned to see this elderly woman (prolly like 75 or maybe even 80)… anyhow she was sort of humming along with the music and then started dancing right there in the aisle. She saw me looking at her, and simply said, “I LOVE Dean Martin… and I love this time of the year…” and I told her, “I love Dean Martin too… and I hope that one day, I’ll be dancing in the aisles.”

There are many times that I think that I should start compiling a list of things to remember when I am old. I’ll put on there things like: Do not be bitter or grumpy. Stop driving. Play as much BINGO as you like. Don’t forget to smile. (I love when my grandma smiles…)

I hope that when I am old, and toward the end of my journey, I’ll still remember that lady, and will remember to be cheerful, and will remember to dance in the grocery store aisles.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rojo said...

Well, its sort of a lesson to all of us even now when we are young? Do we appreciate THE JOURNEY that we are on? Or are we so focused on getting the milk and getting out the door that we are not listening to the music or dancing? I am VERY guilty of that. Those are two VERY IMPORTANT things.

Princess Dancing Strings

11:39 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Yep... I just read a quote from my Franklin Planner that says, "The first half of life consists of the capacity to enjoy without the chance; the last half consists fo the chance without the capacity."

1:23 PM  
Blogger rita said...

I love this post. I can picture my Granny's smile. It's the best in the whole wide world.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home