Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Resolutions...

Yesterday as I was walking out the door, leaving work, a fella gave me a GREAT idea for one of my (many) New Year’s resolutions.

There are 4,000 people who work on the “Countrywide Campus.” For some strange reason I do not find the people here particularly friendly… it’s not like they’re mean… they’re just not friendly.

As some of you know, everyday I eat lunch by my self – and not by choice. During the “lunch rush” I have walked up to groups of people and asked if I could join them, then once I take my seat, no one speaks to me (much less makes eye contact) they simply carry on with “their conversation.” The same is true when you enter the elevator... I always wish the person(s) who enter with or after me a “good morning” or “have a good day” or “gee, it’s cold in here” but most of the time, no one talks to me. The exception to this lack of friendliness is in the microwave room (there are like 10 microwaves in there). The people in there ALWAYS talk to me… I guess it’s cause we have something in common: we all bring our own lunch. (Theirs is typically much better looking than my Lean Cuisine)

Okay, I know, I’m rambling; I’ll get back to the point. SO, I typically leave work right at 4:45 (which bugs the hell out of my co-worker – but that’s another story) anyhow, I’ve learned that leaving at any later adds 20 minutes to my commute since I have to wait that long just to get out of the parking garage (and some think getting out of the Galleria parking garage at Christmas time was bad!) Okay… MY POINT: I always walk out with at least a handful of people, if not an actual stampede. The walk from my office to the parking garage is prolly like ¼ - ½ a mile.

Yesterday as I was walking out and held open the door for a few people, this fella says, “I’m going to get a hair cut.” I figured maybe he was talking to someone next to him… or maybe on his “Blue Tooth” enabled cell, but nope… he was talking to me. At first, I just sort of smiled at him to make sure I was the person he was talking to… and he gave me a look like, “so aren’t you going to respond?” So I said, “Today sounds like a great day to get your hair cut!” and so our conversation continued for ¼ mile. When I got to my car, I chuckled at the peculiarity of the conversation I had just had. (No, Eliz, I do not think he is my future spouse.)

Anyhow, in an effort to make more people chuckle on their drive home, I am going to come up with a few oddities or the like to discuss with the person(s) with whom I amble at the end of the day. I think I’ll ask, “What are you going to have for dinner?” or “Why is it that time seems to go by more quickly the older people get?” or "What are your New Year's Resolutions?" or I’ll tell them my plans for the evening (assuming the plans are noteworthy).

What would you discuss with strangers to make them smile?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rojo said...

How about those fires in Texas, eh?

11:24 AM  
Blogger rita said...

"Have you read "The Kite Runner?", or any other book that strikes your fancy...
"Time to buy my lottery ticket...wonder what I'll do with my million? what would you do with your million?"
"Seen any good movies lately?"

how's that?
Red has a suggestion, but it's not postable, I'll have to tell you later!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home